“We Sing the Faith” – a 500th Anniversary of the Reformation Hymn Festival will be held in the world-class Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Kansas City, Missouri, October 15, 2017.
Due to an overwhelming response to the 7pm performance with all tickets being sold out, we are pleased to announce that a matinee performance has been added! The matinee will be at 4pm and the evening performance will be at 7pm.
Free tickets for the matinee will be available on Tuesday, September 5, at 10am. Tickets may be reserved online at tickets.kauffmancenter.org or by calling the box office at (816) 994-7222. Online method of reservation is preferable because phone lines get very busy.
The festival will take place on Sunday, October 15, and is sponsored by congregations of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod. This FREE community event will feature many favorite hymns, choir anthems, plus organists Dr. Jeffrey Blersch from Concordia University Nebraska in Seward and Dr. Elisa Bickers from Village Presbyterian Church in Prairie Village, KS, and brass and percussion from the Kansas City Symphony.
Choir members are cordially invited to participate in the Festival Choir. Bethlehem members interested in participating may contact Connie Schade, Choir Director.
Adult Festival Choir
- The choir is open to anyone from high school to senior citizens.
- Choir Rehearsal: Sunday, October 8, 2:30-5 pm | Trinity Lutheran Church | 5601 W 62nd, Mission, KS 66202.
- Choir and Brass Rehearsal: Saturday, October 14, 2:30-5 pm | Trinity Lutheran Church | 5601 W 62nd, Mission, KS 66202.
- Information about a possible sound check rehearsal on October 15 will be distributed at a later date.
- Each performance of the Hymn Festival will last approximately 90 minutes.
- Singers participating in the Festival Choir will NOT need to reserve seats in the concert hall. Reservations for audience members will need to be made at kauffmancenter.org or by calling 816.994.7222. There will be a limit of 4 tickets per transaction and FREE reservations for the matinee will be available starting Tuesday, September 5, at 10 am.
- We are asking choir members to wear festival RED for the event. Singers are asked to come dressed to the sound check on October 15 as there will not be time to change.
- Music: The festival choir will be singing the following pieces and we are asking each choir or individual to purchase the music:
- Choir Anthem: “A Festival of Psalms: Psalm 46” – John Ness Beck. Beckenhorst Press 1153. $2.25 per copy. There will be a cut from mm. 118-166.
- Choir Anthem: “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” – arr. Mack Wilberg. Oxford University Press. $2.80 per copy.
- Choir Anthem: “Amazing Grace” – arr. Keith McCutchen | Earthsongs S-200. $1.85 per copy. The first verse will be a solo.
- Congregational Festival Setting: “Thy Strong Word” – arr. Carl Schalk. Concordia Publishing 977175PDF. $1.50 per copy. The descants will be sung by a small group.
- Congregational Festival Setting: “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” – arr. Jeffrey Blersch. Concordia Publishing 977746. $3.25 per copy. The descant will be sung by a small group.
- Extra Copies of Music. There will be a few extra packets of music available at the first rehearsal on a first-come first-serve basis. The cost is $12 per packet.
- The choir will also be leading several congregational hymns from Lutheran Service Book.
- Finally, please help spread the word regarding the festival choir as we hope to have as many voices join us as possible.
For more information, including Children’s Choir details, please visit tlcms.org.